Friday, February 15, 2013

Yarn dyeing

A couple of weeks ago, my LYS had a class on yarn dyeing.  I've always been intrigued by dyeing yarn and have a particular affinity for self-striping sock yarn, so I jumped at the chance to take it....bad move because I'm HOOKED!!  It was so much fun to pick colours and combine them and then to watch them set.  

We did handpainting and were shown how to kettle dye.  I loved the unstructuredness of it.  No worrying about fit or stitch quality. No need to cut and measure and calculate.  Just pure fun and messiness.  I love a good mess.  




I had a really hard time trying to decide what to do, I pretty much love every colour out there.  In the end I chose to do a deep bottle green, fuschia and "carribean" blue.  I'm quite happy with how it turned out!!  The colourway name is "Where I'd rather be" in honour of the tropical blues and greens and how they remind me of my recent vacation south.  I'll definitely be doing more of this -- I stocked up on supplies while we were waiting for our yarn to steam:)  This weekend I'm going to try my hand at kettle dyeing a skein of sock yarn and then, if I have time (ha!) dyeing a skein of self striping.  I can't wait!!!    




Note to self: don't forget to clean your house...


Have a good weekend all!


No comments:

Post a Comment