Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Knitting in Strange Places

Do you knit in strange places?  Well, strange to non-knitters anyways? How do you approach it?  How do you deal with others reactions?

A couple of weeks ago, I went to the Vanier Cup and brought my knitting with me.  I don't watch or follow football by any means, but it was something different to do and I really liked the atmosphere.  AND it was the perfect place to pull out my knitting -- I wasn't really paying attention, I was sitting still and there was great lighting and beer!  All conform to a great knitting opportunity.  But, I'll admit, I was very hesitant to pull it out.  I was with a group of people I had just met and I was worried about how they would react (they are much more keen on football than I).  My boyfriend encouraged me to take it out and, well, the reaction was mixed.  Everyone commented on it and some, I don't think, were too pleased.  No one was rude, but I felt very awkward.  I almost put it away but was encouraged to keep going...so I did.  I mean, if I was going to be hanging out with this group, they had better get used to seeing me knit, right?!  But, still, how would you deal?  I'm shy by nature and, yes, probably overly sensitive to other peoples reactions. I'm also definitely not the type to confront anyone, especially this group as it was important for me to make a good impression.  Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to deal? Do I just keep doing it until it's no longer "strange" or until I am able to filter out the people around me?

On the upside, I managed to complete a couple of rows of my Secret of Change shawl!  It's out of Space Cadet Lucina fingering in the silver colourway that I got from Rhinebeck.  I'm loving it:) 





No comments:

Post a Comment