Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Simplicity 2246



I take a course every semester with a local designer and some great seamstresses in fashion design. I LOVE it. We chat, we learn, we make stuff.  Every class I have an "aha" moment and it's like my world is being turned upside down.

Last semester we focused on pants and blouses.  For my blouse, I chose to make Simplicity 2246, which is a Lisette pattern from the designer of Olive S & Co.  I made view A, so instead of a blouse, it’s actually a shirt dress.  

 
(image from: www.simplicity.com)

 Modifications: in order to meet the requirements for class, I drafted a sleeve placket and cuff and also a proper stand collar (in lieu of the faux stand collar included with the pattern). I used a size 10 and graded to the 12 at the waist and hips. 



The material is fine wale navy blue corduroy that attracts lint like no one’s business.  I decided not to line the dress as I will likely wear a slip with it and finished the seams with a serger.

Overall, I’m very happy with how this turned out. The final version is a little looser than my muslin (I think the corduroy has a bit of stretch in it), but I’m used to wearing more fitted clothing, so I think it will just take some getting used to.  I wore it to work the other day thinking that I would wear tights for the walk in and then take them off and just wear it with ballet flats…Um, yeah, summer’s over Jacey.  I had my tights off for ½ hour before I got too cold and had to put them back on.  Then my dress clung to them all day like a small child not wanting to let go of its mother.  Next on my sewing list is a slip!!

Oh, and I looked down while I was sitting at my desk when I wore it to work and found that perhaps the buttons are spaced a little too far apart as I had skin showing around my stomach.  Another reason I really need to make a slip!

My pants from the class are the ever popular Jalie jeans and are still waiting for belt loops and waistband.  I won't lie, I'm nervous about them.  They didn't fit well out of the gate and I'm afraid they're going to look a little "becky home-ecky".  So, I'll either have a pair of great jeans to show you soon, or we can all have a giggle at my new "painting jeans":)

(sorry about the crappy pics -- I'm relying on my iPhone right now as my other camera recently decided everything should be pink. I'm shopping around for cameras, so hopefully it won't be for too much longer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment