Saturday, January 5, 2013

McCalls 9577

This is a 1968 pattern that I got from my mom's stash. I love the shift styles from the 60s and for design class last winter decided to make the first view (yellow coat with long sleeves) as a winter coat.  

It worked up beautifully in this poly/wool blend. It's lined with a kasia satin and has a chamois panel in the back.  Since this is a 36" bust and I'm a 34", I had to bring in the princess seams by quite a bit, but otherwise the only alteration for size was to lengthen it from what is shown in the picture (it is meant to be a winter coat after all!!). 

On the recommendation of my instructor, I moved the inseam pockets to welt pockets, which will be sturdier over the long run from the abuse of shoving my mittens, kleenex and poop bags in all winter.

I did a faux piping with black dupioni silk around the pocket flaps, mandarin collar and along centre front.  The button are covered with the same dupioni silk.

Here is the back view (I'm kind of proud of how well the pattern matches up :)).  

Now that it's finally winter again, I hope to wear it a lot!!


No comments:

Post a Comment